Tuesday, July 10, 2007

When 'Digital Natives' go to the library.

If you can look beyond the comparison of the library to the church, Jaschik makes a few interesting points. I know I am prone to doing the following.

"A digital native would never read an instruction manual with a new game before simply trying the game out, Gee said. Similarly, students shouldn’t be expected to read long explanations of tools they may use before they start experimenting with them."

http://insidehighered.com/news/2007/06/25/games

1 comment:

Stephanie Davis-Kahl said...

The whole thing about digital natives not reading instruction manuals is kind of funny to me, because I think this is pretty common across all age groups. I don't think it's a digital native thing. Same with multitasking - doesn't everyone multitask? Right now, I'm listening to a webcast about podcasting, answering email, checking AmesChat, and making a list of what I have to do this week. It seems to me that a lot of what's out there about digital natives can be said about GenXers, Baby Boomers, etc. too. I'm not saying that there aren't things about digital natives that are exclusive to them, but some characteristics are shared by just about everyone.

And yeah, the library as church thing...the author must have some library anxiety. I feel bad for him. :)