Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Mountains Beyond Mountains on Facebook

So, I recently composed an email to Stephanie suggesting that we start a discussion about Mountains Beyond Mountains on the Facebook Group "Illinois Wesleyan Class of 2011." Then I checked to see if the students might have already started a discussion; they had! 21 students have participated in the discussion since July 4th.

424 people are members of this group, many of them incoming freshmen. If you're not on Facebook yet, sign up and check this out. Or, come to my office and I will show you.

~Sarah

1 comment:

Stephanie Davis-Kahl said...

Just to clarify my position on this, since it's come up a few times since this past summer. I think the Facebook discussion re MBM was good, but I hesitated to abandon the blog completely since the blog's purpose was for faculty and staff and students (current and new) to discuss the book together. We don't have a lot of faculty on Facebook, and to be frank, getting faculty to post on the Summer Reading Project blog is difficult, so to ask them to join Facebook and then to join that discussion seemed to me to be a little overwhelming in scope. I also hesitated because the New Students group was "student space" and I didn't want to intrude.

I think the First Year Committee may explore using Facebook more intentionally next summer, which is great. I'm completely in favor of using Facebook to promote discussion. One idea I've passed onto the committee is to ask 5-6 faculty to actively start/participate in discussions, to post sites, etc., so the discussion comes from several people (not just me). It would be great to have an active discussion online before students even arrive on campus, and I'm open to whatever technology we use to achieve that outcome.

Thanks for reading!